The Pygmy Owl Online:
JOIN OUR CHAPTER AND ACCESS THE RECENT ISSUES!
By joining our chapter, you will receive a current copy of the Pygmy Owl (black & white) delivered to your mailbox by the U.S. Postal Service and you will have access to the most current issues in color online in the member's only section of our website. Published monthly except July and August.
Many thanks for helping support our conservation
& education programs with your membership!
- January 2015: Field Trip Edition! Program: How to Get the Perfect Shot: A Bird Photographer's Secrets, featuring wildlife photographer Ron Smith; Notes from the President, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Jon Isacoff; 2015 Field Trips.
- December 2014 Program: Preparing for the Christmas Bird Count, with Gary Blevins; Notes from the President, by Fran Haywood; Field Trip Report: Sprague Lake Birding Trip, by Norma Trefry; The Joys of Bird Banding at Turnbull NWR, by Joyce Alonso; The Audubon Report: Birds & Climate Change, National Audubon Society & Audubon Washington; Bye-bye Birdie, by Jan Strobeck.
- November 2014 Program: Exploring South America, "the Bird Continent," with Pacific Biodiversity Institute's Lucila Castro and Peter Morrison; Notes from the President, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Jon Isacoff; Fall Birding from my Porch, by Alan McCoy; Book Review: "Secrets of Backyard Bird Photography," by Marlene Cashen.
- October 2014 Program: Palouse - Rock Lake Conservation District Riparian Restoration, featuring District Manager Dan Harwood; Notes from the President, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Jon Isacoff; Pelagic Birding, by Kim Thorburn; Addressing Concerns about Forage Fish: Pacific Fishery Management Council Meeting Report, by Mary Jokela; Bird & Bike Trip: Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, by Alan McCoy.
- September 2014 Program: Washington's Not-so-common Loon, with Ginger Gumm; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; Cornell Lab of Ornithology's YardMap; Little Pend Oreille Campout Report, by Fran Haywood; Field Trips and Events.
- May 2014 Program: Electronic Tools for Birding, with SAS Webmaster Alan McCoy; International Migratory Bird Day 2014, by Kim Thorburn; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; Remembering Bob Griffith, by Jan Reynolds; 2015 Calendar Photography Contest Guidelines; May Events at Turnbull NWR; SAS Field Trips.
- April 2014 Program: Gonzaga University Environmental Studies Student Presentations; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Tim O'Brien; Western Screech Owl Encounter, by Ron Dexter; 2015 Calendar Contest Announcement; March Board Report, by Ed Reynolds; CdA Audubon Program; Celebrate Earth Day with PBS and A Fierce Green Fire; April and May Events.
- March 2014 Program: 23 Years of Bird Monitoring at Turnbull NWR, with Wildlife Biologist Mike Rule; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Tim O'Brien; SAS Board Report, by Ed Reynolds; Songbird and Barn Owl Field Work Opportunities; Spotlight on Education, by Kim Thorburn and Joyce Alonso; Friends of Turnbull Annual Fundraiser and Dinner Auction Announcement; Field Trips and Events.
- February 2014 Program: Of Wolves and Warblers: The Cascading Impacts of Yellowstone's Wolf Restoration, with Greg Gordon; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; Sights & Sounds, by Tim O'Brien; Prairie Grouse Get Generous Christmas Present, by Lindell Haggin; SAS Board Report, by Ed Reynolds;Unsung Heroes; 2014 Great Backyard Bird Count; SAS Field Trips and Events.
- January 2014 Program: Hot Spot: Point Reyes, California, with Kim Thorburn; 2014 Field Trips; Field Trip Report: Douglas Plateau Northern Visitors Trip, by Kim Thorburn.
- December 2013 Program: Preparing for the Christmas Bird Count, with Gary Blevins; President's Message, by Fran Haywood; These Ornaments are for the Birds!; Holiday Gift Guide for Bird Enthusiasts; December Field Trips and Events; Build a Chickadee Roost Box.
- November 2013 Program: Hanford and the Columbia River, with Columbia Riverkeeper Hanford Coordinator Theresa Labriola; Letter from Fran Haywood;Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; Common Birds of the Spokane Region and Where to Find Them, compiled by Jim Acton & Fran Haywood; Events for November and December.
- October 2013 Program: Preserving Old Growth Habitat on Mt. Spokane, with Lands Council Executive Director Mike Petersen; Letter from the Editor; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; Introducing Washington's Newest Important Bird Area: Lake Creek IBA, by Kim Thorburn; The Lands Council Wins Lawsuit to Protect Old Growth Forest in Mt. Spokane State Park; Events for October and November.
- September 2013 Program: Welcoming Wildlife to the Garden, with Master Gardener Eva Lusk; Letter from the Editor; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; 2013 Loon Banding Report, by Chris Loggers; Great Gray Owl Update, by Mike Munts; 2014 Calendars are Here!; Events for September and October.
- June 2013 Turnbull Spring Festival Recap, by Joyce Alonso; Letter from the Editor; A Tale of Two Cities (in one week): Birding New York City and Spokane, by Carmen Yount; Upcoming Field Trips; Using a Bird ID Scavenger Hunt to Teach Kids (and Adults) about Birds, by Carmen Yount.
- May 2013 Program: Connecting Kids to Nature, with Environmental Educator Jami Ostby Marsh; President's Message from Kim, 2014 Calendar Contest Submission Guidelines, Winter Visitors Field Trip Report, by Joyce Alonso; Field Trips and Events for May and June; 2nd Annual Turnbull NWR Spring Festival.
- April 2013 Program: For the Love of Ants: Diversity in Superorganism, with Laurel Hansen; Letter from the Editor; Field Trip Reports: Bluebird Field Trip, by Marian Frobe, and Beginning Bird Walk at Turnbull, by Fran Haywood; 2014 Calendar Contest Guidelines Announced; SAS Field Trips for April and May; Volunteer Opportunities, by Joyce Alonso.
- March 2013 Program: Great Gray Owls, with Michael Munts; President's Message from Kim; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; Spokane Audubon 2012 Christmas Bird Count Summary, by Alan McCoy; March/April Events.
- February 2013 Program: I Hunt, therefore I Am (what?), with Rich Landers; President's Message from Kim; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; Snowy Owl Pellet, by Ron Dexter; Field Trip Report: Banana Belt Trip, by Cindy McCormack; Great Backyard Bird Count; February/March Events.
- January 2013 Field Trip Edition; Program: Birding in Peru, with Lindell Haggin and Joyce Alonso; President's Message from Kim; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack, 2013 Field Trips.
- December 2012 Program: What does CBC Data tell us about how climate change is affecting bird populations?, featuring Gary Blevins; President's Message from Kim; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; 2013 Calendar Photo Preview;Conservation Action: Save the Glenrose-Dishman Hills Connection to the Dream Trail; December Field Trip.
- November 2012 Program: Reproductive Ecology of the White-headed Woodpecker in Washington’s Ponderosa Pine Forests, with Jeff Kozma; President's Message from Kim; Sights & Sounds, by Cindy McCormack; Unsung Heroes: Marlene & Bob Cashen, by Fran Haywood; Calendar Photo Preview;Audubon National President Marks Completion of Washington Birding Trail; Field Trips.
- October 2012 Program: Bird-related Research and Monitoring at Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge, with Mike Rule; President's Message from Kim; Fire on the Shrub-Steppe; Calendar Photo Preview and event announcement; Upcoming events.
- September 2012 Program: Ecology, Species Interactions, and Conservation of the Shrub-steppe, with Mike Livingston; President's Message from Kim; Call for Board Elections; 2013 Calendar Announcement; Summer Campout Report, by Joyce Alonso; Unsung Hero, by Fran Haywood; Diary of a Bird Nerd: Volunteering at the OLC, by Carmen Yount; Rufous Hummingbird Report, from Howard Ferguson; Field Trips for September and October.